A first hand account of dealing with an ACL injury

Mary Koppy is a sophomore in English writing at MSU, where she is a thrower on the track and field team.


source




Great Falls Tribute reports her first hand account of dealing with an ACL injury:


When I tore my ACL in February, I thought the world was ending. Pop culture turns this into the bogeyman of sports injuries. The acronym pops up in hundreds of sports stories each year, and it always seems as if it ends careers.


In fact, the most serious problem a tear in the anterior cruciate ligament poses is the surgery required to fix it. That surgery has vastly improved in the last 60 years as a result of significant medical advances. It now offers the possibility of a full recovery, as well as a greatly diminished chance of complication.


Prior to injuring my knee, I had this vague idea that if your ACL tore, you were done with competitive sports for life. To read more, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment