Female Soccer Players at Risk for ACL Injuries

The State Journal reports:


Imagine preparing for a soccer game, lacing up your shoes, grabbing a ball and hitting the field.


"We were at a game at WVU. And, we were warming up really quickly. We didn't have enough time to stretch. I stretched a little bit, but not enough. And, I was running and I just stopped. And, my foot stopped, my knee didn't stop and it just kind of went like that," Victoria Stingo, who plays varsity soccer at her high school, said.
Victoria tore her ACL, an injury, that doctors say is happening more and more in female athletes.

"Knees tend to be turned in more, especially when they jump and when they land. And when the knee is in a twisted and a bent position, you're more vulnerable to injure the ACL," Dr. Peter Alasky, who practices osteopathic medicine at United Hospital Center, said. To read more, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment