Haley Steed didn't let ACL injuries hold her back

The Salt Lake Tribune reports:

Haley Steed was done, finished with a college career that had not really begun.

In 2009, for the third consecutive season, the distraught member of the BYU women’s basketball team was down, pain ripping through her from yet another torn ACL, a vital ligament in the knee.

To come back from one such injury is hard enough. To do it three times, well, "Initially, I thought I was done," said the 5-foot-4 guard. "For a month or so, I thought I was not going to play again.
"I never thought I’d have three healthy years."
Not only has Steed, a senior who technically has one year of eligibility remaining, come all the way back, she has been a key component in the Cougars’ (26-6) drive to their first NCAA Tournament since 2007, a 10th seed playing DePaul on Saturday in Chicago.
Steed was a freshman when BYU was knocked out of its last tournament, by Louisville at USC. She was also nursing the first ACL tear and not available to play.
"I haven’t met a kid in all my coaching and playing days who has the heart and determination Haley has," BYU coach Jeff Judkins said. "To go through one ACL is hard, and she went through three.

Click here to continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment