Ali Krieger likely to miss Olympics

Inside Nova reports:

Ali Krieger will be sidelined six to eight months after sustaining tears to the medial collateral and anterior cruciate ligaments in her right knee Friday in the United States’ first game of the 2012 CONCACAF Olympic Women's Qualifying tournament in Vancouver, Canada.

source

As a result, the Forest Park High School graduate will more than likely miss the London Olympic Games if the U.S. qualifies. U.S. Soccer said a date for Krieger’s surgery has not been set.

A right defender, Krieger suffered the injury following a reckless tackle by a Dominican Republic player late in the first half of the United States’ eventual 14-0 win.

Since teams are unable to make roster changes after the tournament has begun, the U.S. will not be able to replace her on the Olympic Qualifying roster.

“I feel so unfortunate and I wouldn't wish this on anyone, especially to have it happen in a match where we were in control,” said Krieger. “Soccer is a funny game and this is part of being an athlete. It's unfortunate that the timing is really bad, but this team is about way more than one player and I know with all the support from my teammates, my family and friends and from U.S. Soccer, I will come back stronger than ever. It's going to be a fun year and I'll be with the team in spirit the whole way, even if I have to be a vocal leader, just sitting and watching.”

Click here to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment