Injuries helped Chastain mature

The Score reports:

In 1999, Brandi Chastain tore off her shirt and became one of the most recognizable figures in soccer history.

source


But in order to get there, she had to tear up both of her knees first.

Following her freshman year at University of California at Berkeley, the 1999 World Cup star underwent knee surgery to repair a torn ACL...two years in a row.

“Having done it one time was bad, but having done it the second time was devastating,” said Chastain. “But in hindsight, it probably one of the greatest things that could have happened to me at the time, because I don't think I truly appreciated the responsibility, appreciated my talent, appreciated my scholarship and going to college. So I think being injured actually gave me perspective, and helped me realize that I truly loved being on the field.”

Chastain made the decision to continue on with her athletic career, with the threat of going under the knife a third time looming overhead. She transferred within the state to Santa Clara University, where she enjoyed not only prolonged health, but on-field success, twice appearing in the NCAA Final Four. Click here to continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment